Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 12, 13, 14: Last Day in Bella, Touring, Riots

They have decided to only allow 20-30% of NGO's into the Bella Center for Tuesday, 10-15% Wednesday, 140 NGO's Thursday, 90 Friday, and these numbers are the maximum. The youth voice has been shut out of negotiations. The people who this affects have been excluded from the process.

During my last day in the Bella Center I tried to use the most of it, protesting, meetings, meeting delegates, seeing people, etc. etc. Details aren't important. For the 7 days I was allowed in the Bella Center, as well as the days after, other than Sunday, and Tuesday I get back to the boat I am staying on past 1, and I awake for the next day by 8 at the latest.

I am running on just pure adrenaline.

Tuesday was a day of rest. Slept in until about 2. Went out, in an awesome snowy wintery scene, walked around town with my favourite roommate/person in my delegation, Emily! Bought gifts for mom, dad, and sister. Saw the town, and had just an overall great day.

That night I went to a 350 event, and met some cool people, and ended up returning to the ship at 4 am! Man work is hard. Up at 8 the next day though!

RIOTS:

Reclaim Power, a movement whereby people who could still be in the Bella Center (some NGO's), and people outside of the Bella Center, some accredited, some showing up for the People's Climate Summit stormed the Bella Center, or walked out of the Bella Center. From 3 sides we attacked, and came within 20 meters of the center. The police held us back, and shot tear gas into the crowds. That is when I dispersed. Those closer to the front brought in a barracade and pushed against the police more, then the police beat them back and over 250 people were detained. There are great videos of this violence around the net already.

Later in the day, I met Naomi Klien, and Bill McKibbon (not sure if I am spelling that right) (but he is the director of 350). I missed meeting Jack Layton by about 5 minutes :(

In actual negotiation news:

No progress was made, in fact, a large portion of text was created but it is all in brackets. That was a full nights work, most delegates were sleep deprived. So really no progress within the Bella Center has been made, and a fair, ambitious, legally binding climate deal is pointless. No matter what happens it won't be a good deal, and no deal is better than a bad deal.

I have lost hope but I would really like to see more protests.

TOMORROW:

I and many other people here (today already in our time) will be fasting for 24 hours. No food, just water


You may have heard by now, but in solidarity to those who are fasting for climate action, 350.org has asked all of us to join them tomorrow (Thursday). - http://action.350.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=4729

I plan to join the worldwide fast. No food, just water.

Please also remember to call the Prime Minister asking Canada to commit to science-based emissions targets - and a fair, ambitious and binding treaty. - http://action.350.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=6778

God only knows what world governments will come up with this Friday in Copenhagen. The stakes are incredibly high. Keep up the pressure. Now is not the time to give up.

Thanks for reading this really long post, ZACK FROM COPENHAGEN!

1 comment: